Reflection One

I don’t consider myself an animal person. Neither do I identify as artistic. So, I was originally uneasy about taking a Dogs in Art course. However, I have come to realize that the class has given me a greater perspective than I initially expected. Sometimes, power through hesitation and the uncomfortable is painfully necessary.


I am part of the general norm that generally doesn’t pay attention to small details frequently: especially when relating to animals. Life is busy and it’s exhausting to focus. That’s been one of my biggest mistakes. Failing to recognize the bigger picture requires focusing on the fine details. I have been blinded from enjoying the little things that enrich what I consider to be more pertinent.


Thus far, my viewpoint of animals and what they have been challenged drastically. Growing up near agriculture, I viewed animals as pets or livestock. It was simply black and white. I also definitely didn’t regard them as equal to humans: they are subpar. The treatment of animals throughout history and society, however, has reshaped this. Learning about the additional symbolism and usage of animals in theology, literature, culture, etc. has additionally cemented my discontent. Perhaps, dogs and animals aren’t all that I viewed them to be.


By changing, perspective and the underlying symbolism throughout the class will alter my outlook on my life. I hope to apply these critical thinking skills within my daily routine, so they become a habit. Becoming a citizen scholar requires constant learning and challenging one’s perspective. Searching for the deeper meaning and hidden truths is what this course has taught exemplified to me the most so far. I can’t wait to experience the rest of the semester.


A Man Staring Away From Water. (2014)
Costin Anghelescu. Source: Flickr
 




Comments

Popular Posts