Child Based Anthropomorphism
We shift from historical accounts of animals to contemporary society. We also shift from art to different visual forms: photography and video. The work of William Wegman is very specific and unique. His usage of the Weimaraner dog breed in human-based photography is fascinating. It may be taken as unsettling to some as well.
To begin, and as a side note, I find it very interesting that he didn't discover his work until after graduate school. We constantly stress about knowing our life purpose and plans in high school and college. Wegman didn't discover his life's work until after attending a university. Perhaps society, and ourselves, should relieve some of the undue stress and focus more on developing skills and creativity. We should have a general idea of what we would like to do but in the end, life will likely take its journey regardless of what we do.
I haven't heard of or seen Wegman's work before the videos. At first, I was slightly unsettled and shocked by his photos and videos. Not because I find them creepy, but they are so eccentric and out of place that I wasn't expecting dogs in human form. This showcases my own bias in the human-dog relationship as I view everything in relation to myself. However, after watching more of the background, I found his work humorous and insightful. Although, his work is still very different and can be found being referenced as "The Freudian Horror of Sesame Street" on several blogs.
What I found most interesting about his work is that it was featured on Sesame Street. I'm frankly surprised that more people weren't offended by it. People have gotten offended by worse but I guess dogs being portrayed as humans is "decent" to be shown to children. Animals being used in children's programs isn't unique. Using it as symbolism and a near metaphor is very unique, however.
The usage of his dogs, and work, lead me to a very peculiar question. Do children view animals with similar viewpoints to adults, or is drastically different? For example, do children believe animals behave and dress like humans when they aren't around? I know that some children believe animals can talk but I really do wonder if they think animals behave like humans when they are alone. Do they view animals with a more human-based perception or do they better understand the perspective of animals better than we do?
Childhood innocence may be a blessing or a curse in this case, but it may provide insight into how humans use animals in our modern era. Symbolism changes and adjusts to different forms with time. But do the roots of humor surrounding animals, for example, become engrained in children or are natural. I wouldn't ever have expected dogs "cross-dressing" as humans to appear on Sesame Street. However, I do think it is beneficial overall, as attitudes of kindness and viewing animals as equals are taught to children.
William Wegman showcases an ever-expanding and changing perspective on Dogs in Art; he may possibly hint towards their future uses. He reaches an almost unforeseen level of Anthropomorphism by having dogs sit in human kitchens and undertake human activities. Marketing his dogs in children's programming, and even having a dog named Fey Ray, is a very distinctive approach. This may warp the perspective of children and damage their beliefs. It may, however, provide a necessary catalyst for a change in the discussion on how we view and treat dogs, and animals in general.

Comments
Post a Comment